Monday, March 3, 2014

What inspires Richard Morley

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download



With a background in aerospace engineering and "too many years of education", Richard Morley became dissatisfied sitting behind a desk and decided to pursue his passion for wood. He has a small workshop in England where he does property maintenance and  takes on small commissioned projects. 

I first met Rick on Keek and was intrigued by his enthusiasm and laid-back demeanor as well as his unique, light-filled shop. On his YouTube channel he creates small, approachable projects and has a fantastic series well worth watching called Routing 101. Even if youve been using a router for a while, this series will really help out with all sorts of tips and pointers.

Be sure to check out his web site, Woodcraft by BPW; an English Workshop.

For The Inspiration Project, Rick shot a video about what inspiration means to him. I love the quote he cites: "
No one gets remembered for the things they didnt do."

*****



*****

Gallery 

Some of my early turning projects, mostly these were just playing around with scrap wood and logs, before committing to more expensive shavings! Fairly early on I joined a woodturning club, something I would advise every one of all levels to do. Not just from an exposure point, but also because you can learn and advance at much faster rate than just playing in your shed! The apple knife was a competition entry in the beginners’ class which actually got first place. I think about 3 of us entered that month!




I found out about decoupage via my other half, and this piece came about purely by chance, dont be afraid to experiment - but also dont be surprised to find out that others may have thought of it before you.

I went through a phase of scroll sawing, these gifts were taken from plans in a scroll sawing book, a great source of ideas.

This clock is made from sycamore, it was a commissioned piece and all the numbers are hand carved. Its the first hand carving, and mostly likely the LAST, I think I’ll do). I have great respect for carvers!



Another commission, Oak veneered MDF, for a friend and guy I used to work with, within 6 hours of having delivered it the 18 month old girl had drawn on it. It was left as a lifelong reminder.



The Steve Ramsey wooden tie! I made this for an uncles Christmas present - to go with his wooden belt. Thanks Steve, got me out of a hole that time!



This bed was made from watching an episode of "The Salvager" with Rico Daniels. I had lots of old rotten fence posts from a huge fencing contract at the time, and got the scaffold boards from a friend. Also Id just moved house and had got sick of sleeping on the floor!



A plant pot/potting stand made for a lovely lady, and regular customer. The cat also approved!


It bugs me seeing old garden furniture sitting their rotting away, this bench is actually made from Teak, and had not been looked after very well. A few, (LOTS actually), hours of sanding and 4 coats of linseed oil and it was reborn!


I also do plastering, gypsum and traditional Lime work. My other half decided to replace a 70s gas fire with wood burner (No idea where she gets her fuel from :-) ), so I had the job of re-doing the fireplace, We just HAD to have a nice oak mantle!




This project was great! I was asked to remake a casement for a wooden window, you can see how bad it had got, just like the bench, timber needs a little love every once in a while.


Another restoration project, I got asked to look at some "cracked plaster". All new plastering with slaked lime putty and horse hair.





TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment